Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Don't Have To Even Ask Her

Next up in the Top 5 of 2007 is Band of Horses’ Cease To Begin

I’ve written about Band of Horse’s before in this space. Their last album, Everything All The Time, was one of my favourites of last year (though it came out in 2006), so I had high hopes for the new one.

The new album carries on their trademark sound with lots of reverb, Ben Bridwell’s high clear voice, and spacy guitars. The biggest difference, I’d say, between the two albums is the increase in confidence in both the songwriting and playing: the rock songs are rockier, the cheesy songs are cheesier.

The debut album had a lot of gorgeous, intimate songs laced with uncertainty - whether about a career, or a lover, or whatever. On the new album, there seems to be a lot more confidence, and joy. For example, on the first album, we get “I’ll love you always / Even when I say / You distract me” (from ‘Part One’) while on the new album we get “I’ll marry my lover in a place to admire I don’t / have to even ask her I can look in her eyes”.

My favourite songs on the new album are the opener ‘Is There A Ghost’, the incredibly fun ‘The General Specific’, and ‘Marry Song’. Here’s ‘The General Specific’:



No comments: