Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Name of This Blog

The name of this blog is taken from a Gillian Welch song, called, funnily enough, “One Little Song”:

        There’s gotta be a song left to sing
        Cause everybody can’t have thought of everything
        One little song that ain’t been sung
        One little rag that ain’t been wrung out completely yet
        Gotta a little left

The last time I tried writing online, I got totally preoccupied with how the work would be perceived, and so shied away from writing about lots of things because I didn’t think I knew enough about them to have something intelligent to say. This time around, bombs away! Expect totally uninformed commentary on anything I happen to find interesting.

I’m trying to improve my writing skills by writing more. I’ve been writing a journal lately, but the problem there is that I’m only talking to myself, so I get all the inside jokes. With this blog, while I imagine I’ll be writing for about eight people, it’s still enough to make me concentrate on readability, and not fall back on some of my lazy writing habits.

The reason then, why I gave the blog the title I did, is that I hope this space does become my one little song. Not a huge song that the whole world will sing along to, but a song I can call my own, and I can share with my friends. Because everyone can’t have thought everything yet, can they?

p.s. If you haven’t actually heard Gillian’s albums Time (The Revelator) or Soul Journey, they’re awesome.

No comments: