Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Like Mint and Chocolate Chips

I am back from my top-secret mountain hideaway, so maybe some posts will be written again?

Here’s something I came across while away that made me very happy. Like mint ice cream with chocolate chips, or iced-tea powder on Kraft dinner, sometimes things that are awesome by themselves are even awesomer in combination. So here’s one of my absolute favourite artists, Gillian Welch (with partner David Rawlings) performing one of my absolute favourite Radiohead songs, “Black Star”, at Bonnaroo this year. The recording isn’t great, and the guy recording it is singing pretty loudly at times, but I thought it was pretty cool, with a great solo by David Rawlings.



There’s a torrent floating around of the rest of the set, including a visit from John Paul Jones (!), that can be found at etree. The audio quality is much better than the video above.

Another game my friend Mark and I used to play with live recordings is listening for the different waves of audience recognition - some people will get the song from the first notes, while others won't get it til the chorus. There's three distinct waves of recognition in this one - the very start, after the first line, and at the first chorus.

LATER: Actually, you can only hear the first and second waves in the linked audio version, not the video above.

No comments: