Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Speciation by Musical Isolation

One of the principal mechanisms thought to be responsible for the evolution of new species is the process of allopatric speciation. Simply put, populations that are capable of interbreeding are separated for a long period of time (by, for example, a mountain range or ocean). Out of contact with each other, each new subpopulation adapts to its new environment, while neutral genetic changes also accumulate. After enough time has elapsed, the two subpopulations may no longer be able to breed with each other, because of the accumulated genetic changes in each.

I’m kind of feeling this week like I’m undergoing a musical allopatric speciation event. I keep listening to music on my own, and if at some point I end up trying to talk about music with my friends, we’ll have nothing at all in common anymore. I mean seriously, how often can one person listen to Sweetheart of the Rodeo in one week, and still be able to interact with other people? I’ll have to move to South Carolina or something.

If future scientists are trying to decipher how I ended up here, I think it went something like Wilco -> Uncle Tupelo -> Gillian Welch -> Gram Parsons.

2 comments:

loring said...

You know, I've never tried to chart out how I would get from one artist to another. Usually I just jump around. Totally random. I guess that's why I don't chart the evolution of my music tastes.

I will say, you sometimes listen to stuff I would never bother with. Maybe I should expand my horizons... or maybe not. i haven't bought a cd in like ten months now or something.

Rod said...

I think over any given short period it will seem pretty random, but if you step back a bit you can usually see the progression. Anyways, this one for me was over the course of about 5 years.

I'd seriously recommend Sweetheart though, I think it's what good country should aspire to. There's even a Dylan cover!