Sunday, April 06, 2008

Sunday is Not YouTube Day

...but I was away yesterday, so I thought I’d write this today instead.

I’ve been working a fair bit recently getting a bit better at fingerstyle guitar. I’ve always loved the sound of it - at first it sounds so complex, notes coming from all over the place. But after a bit of listening, the patterns emerge.

One of the most predominant styles is called ‘Travis Picking’, after the late Merle Travis. The defining characteristics of the style are the alternating bass (played with the thumb), and the melody and accompaniment played on the upper strings with the other fingers.

Here’s a compilation of Merle Travis songs:



And here’s an absolutely stunning tribute to Townes Van Zandt, called “Ft. Worth Blues”, written and performed by Steve Earle:



And finally, Josh Ritter’s “The Temptation of Adam”:


No comments: