Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Recently


Katie Loves Pain did indeed play their final show a little while ago, and it went off quite well. Kristine St-Pierre opened the show, with a surprisingly good-looking backing band (featuring Shawn and Katie of KLP on guitar and violoin, and me on drums). Due to the layout of the venue, I was actually playing the drums sitting in the middle of the crowd!

For our final show as KLP, we wanted to have a lot of fun with the audience. Some of our biggest fans have been requesting AC/DC and Bon Jovi covers for months, so we happily obliged them with “Dirty Deeds” and “Livin’ On A Prayer”. We were thrilled to see people coming out in home-made AC/DC t-shirts, and in one case, even shaving “AC/DC” into their heads!

Sound-wise, it probably wasn’t our best outing - we were quite cramped, and the sound of the various instruments was inconsistent through the evening. In the end though, I think everyone had a good time. I played a lot of drums during the show, which I really enjoy - something about not actually knowing what I’m supposed to be doing, and relying mostly on intuition makes it a really fun challenge.

Last Saturday, we were in Ottawa, helping Kristine audition for the Ottawa folk festival. Ironically, our audition took place at Rasputin’s Folk CafĂ©, located a block away from the apartment I lived in when I first moved out East a few years ago. Our set there went well, though the talent level at the auditions was pretty impressive. If we make it the next round, we’ll be playing at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa - how Canadian Idol of us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The KLP show was A-mazing. I'm still living on a prayer.

Groupie #2