Friday, December 14, 2007

Uninformed Political Prognostication

I spend a fair amount of time following US politics - much more than Canadian politics. I couldn’t really say why, though maybe it’s just that the villains are just crazier and more obvious. Anyways, with the first primaries a few weeks away, I thought I’d make some predictions. To get an idea of how good I am at this, I’ll say I was sure Gore was going to win easily in 2000, and sure that Kerry was going to win in 2004.

On the Democratic side, I think Barack Obama is going to finish his comeback and win in Iowa, then go on to win the nomination. I’d prefer him over his main two rivals simply because he’s a newer face that doesn’t immediately summon visions of the battles of 2004, or all of the 90s. But really, I think any of the main three Democratic contenders would be alright, in the sense that any of them would be much better than any of the Republicans.

As for the Republicans, it would be funny if it weren’t so scary that one of these guys is going to be nominated to become the President. This video sums up the field pretty well:



As for a prediction, I think Giuliani is going to pull it out - he’s the favoured candidate of the corporate interests that run the GOP, and they usually get their way over the social conservatives.

In the general, I think the Democrat wins easily. So, given my record of predictions, that means four more years of war, climate change denialism, and crazy health care. Awesome!

4 comments:

J said...

thanks a lot rod, for blessing (cursing) us all, yet again. ;P

really tho, i am curious to know your thoughts on Ron Paul. is he just another nut in disguise? does he actually have a chance of getting anywhere?

i too thought the last two elections would have gone the other way - especially hoped the last one would. but then, perhaps they were rigged.....

what i find myself being overly informed about is silly inflation and economic statistics. such as, if the US measured inflation as it did in the late 90's, it would read about 7.5%. if measured as it did in the early 80's, it would measure 12%, today. this of course is material, because every politician loves to reference how we're a far cry from the double digit inflation of the early 80's. however, news flash, using the same measures, we're not so far off.

or statistics such as in the last few years the amount of currency the US is printing as spiked to record levels of nearly 22% per year!! ouch. no wonder our currency has rocketed to par.

so much for a 10% yearly raise being if you've done a good job. as those numbers infer, you'd need somewhere between 7.5% and 20% just to maintain your life from last year. that is of course, a life other than in Van-riduculous, where everyone from Costco to Safeway to home prices are higher than everywhere else.... yaaay.

Rod said...

I vote just another nut with no chance of getting the Republican nomination, but I can see what people like about him.

I may have to change my prediction, though, I'm feeling like I'm goin to be wrong already.

loring said...

Good predictions Rod. Ron Paul is a nutter. I like what he says about the Iraq war, but he's an Ubber Libertarian, believing in individual liberty to the point where there is no government, just self governance, etc. He's isolationist and probably just as crazy as the rest.

My predictions: Obama, but prefer Edwards. Republicans: who gives a shit. The last man with any real integrity was John McCain and he sold himself up shit creek without a paddle.

This SHOULD be a cakewalk for the democrats. but knowing the American public who voted TWICE for W, I don't think anything is locked in.

Anonymous said...

Although Obama has a natural intuitive appeal, I think Clinton has some unappreciated advantages that would serve the country well. I think her campaign strength is greater than it appears right now.

As for the Republicans, I'll rest easier once Giuliani gets knocked off that damned pedestal he's mind-boggingly managed to climb up and stay on top of fo so long. He's so horribly unqualified and represents such a lack of change from the current political climate that I can't for the life of my understand why anyone (outside of New York) still seriously listens to him.