Thursday, August 17, 2006

Back in the City

The yeast course is done, and I’m back in Montreal. I learned a lot, met some great people, and didn’t sleep much for three weeks. So here I am, trying to get back to full speed at work, find a new apartment, get rid of my old one, and catch up on sleep. Here’s a picture of the group (click for a bigger version), I’ll try to write more (ha!) and put up some more pictures later.



One of the events held at the banquet was a song competition, where each group would attempt to insult the others through song. Here’s one I wrote, set to the melody of “California Girls” by the Beach Boys, that I creatively called “Cerevisiae Girls. I’m not sure whether I should capitalize the ‘C’ in cerevisiae in this case, and I’m also not sure whether worrying about that or just the song in general disqualifies me from coolness. Here it is...


Verse 1


Well yeast are really hip
I really dig those genes we share
And with double-fusion PCR
I can knock any gene in there

Verse 2


With the green fluorescent protein
I can make any gene alight
And I know I’ll always have enough
A billion cells in just one night

Chorus


They wish they all could work on Saccharomy-
(Wish they all could work on Saccharomy-)
They wish they all could work on Saccharomyces

Verse 3


Expression people just watch lights shine
And nematodes are just so bland
The microscopists are only looking in
Without tetrads how can you understand?

Verse 4


I’ve been all around Cold Spring Harbor
And I’ve seen all kinds of work
So I couldn’t wait to get back to my yeast
Back to the greatest system in the world

Repeat Chorus 2x

1 comment:

loring said...

wow. the only redeeming value of that picture is your beard. it has a life of its own. worship it.

the picture reminds me of when i was at bible camp. except, you know, we didn't have matching shirts and we felt guilty for masturbating. ha ha.