Wednesday, June 21, 2006

World Cup Predictions

I haven’t been able to watch too much of the World Cup so far because it falls during my workday, but here are some predictions anyways.

England will not win the World Cup. The only reason I say this is because their fans seem to have the same mentality as fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Charitably, blind optimism, less charitably, denial.

I’m rooting for Argentina again, which I think I’ve done since around 1994, when I was swayed by their cool blue jerseys, and old Disney cartoons that made me think everyone in the country was a cowboy.

3 comments:

loring said...

Not a huge fan of soccer, I must say. Just not enough movement for me. Like Baseball. 1 goal games just don't do it for me. Half the time you score one or two goals and there's no hope of the other team coming back. But then, I haven't watched any sport this year including hockey. Although i was close in my predictions with Edmonton but came up short in the end. After the first series, I alled Edmonton to win the cup, then after they lost their goalie, I said they'd still win, but in 7. Then comes the seventh game and they're down two nothing and after the second period I said they'd score in the first five minutes of the third, and the last five minutes of the third, then score in overtime. Well, I was right up until the last five minutes when Carolina scored.

anyway, back to the world cup: Robson street was clogged with Koreans the other day, all wearing jerseys. You'd think you were in downtown Seoul. I mean, I knew there were lots of Koreans in Vancouver, but that was just stupid.

Rod said...

You're stupid. The big teams in my neighbourhood are Portugal, since I live near the Portuguese district, and France. Brazil and England also seem to have pretty big local followings.

loring said...

Sure, I'm stupid, but Soccer still sucks. Playing it is alright, but watching it... yawn.