Thursday, May 04, 2006

More Listening Commentary

Continuing from this entry, some additional thoughts on listening frequency charts.

1. It seems there might be some issues with autocorrelation going on in the data. For example, it’s not clear whether the high position of “Meadowlake Street” is due to me really liking the song, or just due to the fact that it follows “Sweet Illusions” on the album. But then “When Will You Come Back Home” is played more than either of those, and is the fourth track on the album. So who knows? Subjectively, I remember listening to those three songs as a block all the time last fall.

2. It also seems to me that “number of times a song is listened to” doesn’t (or shouldn’t be expected to) correlate exactly with how much I like a given song.

3. Man I’m a sucker for sad or slow music. Of the Top 20, only five or so are rockers. It could be that I tend to listen to a bunch of different rockers while only a few slow songs will really grab me. Or that I just like listening to “sad bastard” music, as Loring puts it.

4. A few albums I listened to obsessively last fall are heavily represented: Iron & Wine’s Our Endless Numbered Days, Ryan Adam’s Cold Roses, and the Iron & Wine / Calexico split EP In The Reins.

5. I can’t believe that when I saw Iron & Wine with Calexico, they played every single song from the EP except “History of Lovers”. What the fuck!

2 comments:

loring said...

you and your sad bastard music.

Me said...

Windows media player does that too - ranks songs according to how often you listen to them! Kinda different, though as it's a 5-star rating system, not numbered. So really it's not the same at all...